Montag, 28. Juli 2008

Sick-O

Yeah, yeah, I know this is turning into a veritable manga-blog. But so what, that's what is on my mind right now.
But then todays artwork is a manhwa and not a manga. Small difference only, but still not exactly the same. Originally much the same thing as a manga, manhwas come from Korea. What I know about Korea printed in a 10-font-type would fit onto my toenails - and I do cut them regularly. The difference between mangas and manhwas: you read manhwas from left to right like western books and comics, the characters have mostly korean names (surprise, surprise) and there is a slightly different feeling to manhwas - at least the ones that I have read so far. Manhwas seem to be a bit less care-free than mangas. And the action & violence level seems upped a bit in comparison.
The special manhwa that is on my mind right now is by artist Hwang Mi Ri and called "Hot Blooded Woman". She seems a well known manhwa-artist and has published quite a few series starting in the ealry 1990s. The only other one that I have tried so far was "Boarding House of Hunks". Yes, there seems to be a theme of cheesy titles ... You can try out both series online at mangafox.
I found "Hot Blooded Woman" when I was looking for mangas/manhwas with heroines that have a strong fighting skill. The heroine in "Hot Blooded Woman", Ha Ji, is not what I imagined when hearing the title - a hot blooded woman would be someone womanly, probably sensual. Ha Ji is more boyish than most boys, eating like pig, belching and not pretty. She is also the leader of the gang at her high school, a position earned by her well developed fighting skills. She is fun to read about. Still the manga started a bit weak, the plot was developing too fast in the beginning and I found the first three or four chapters mostly confusing. But then the heroine dies in chapter 2 of a 24 volume-thick series. You guess it. She does not really die. Instead the soul of the fighter girl is transfered into the body of the sickly weakish Aram, a girl that is everything that Ha Ji is not. Ha Jis natural temper makes her fight back even in the body of weak Aram. Until she meets Sin Uoo, leader of the gang at her new school. Only Han Seo, her vice leader in her old gang and long term friend discoveres her soul-travelling secret. Ha Ji's soul has to find a way back into her comatose own body. But it seems like the really trouble will only start then.
"Hot Blooded Woman" should rather be called "short tempered woman with an enormous appetite". The artwork is nothing special - pretty average I would say. The heroine is very enjoyable and the hero is a real knightly hunk. So why exactly did I find myself rooting for the second man Jang Han Seo (picture)? What intrigued me in Han Seo was his reckless everything-or-nothing-attitude. This man does not go for half slices. When he thinks that he can not have Ha Ji (although it is never really said in any way that he wants her as a woman, at times I thought he just doesn't want to be taking second place in her life), he would rather destroy her than let someone else have her. So he has complete asshole moments - lots of them. More than good moments. He has a sick mind. He is a possible other choice for Ha Ji but at the same moment he is the villain. Yet, I find him much more interesting than Sin Uoo and despite different expectations kept hoping that he would find a way to win her.
Photobucket
I have since read a review of "Hot Blooded Woman" that critized that Hwang Mi Ri was just re-using all her old ideas in new clothes again. After finishing "Hot Blooded Woman" I have started to read "Boarding House of Hunks", and can see a few similarities as in the character of the heroine. But I have not read enough by hear to be bothered by that - if it is true. Both series have quite a few lough-out-loud moments. As for "Hot Blooded Woman" I thought that the plot seemed divided into three parts, that still are connected by the plot line but have a very different feeling about them. The first part is a romantic comedy, the second part is a dramatic romance with funny and exciting moments, the third part is an exciting dramatic drama. The romance seemed to lose out more and more with the progressing plot. Despite that I found the series very engaging, it provided fun and excitement and even a few moments of romantic heartbeat. It also gave me a new hero for my ever growing manga-harem - welcome Han Seo!

1 Kommentar:

Anonym hat gesagt…

I absolutely agree with you. Hot Blooded Woman wasn't so bad for me as it seemed to be for the translator, since I haven't read any of the author's other works.