Montag, 16. Juni 2008

Step into Mangaverse

I know. Some people think I should accept that I am too old to read Mangas. I'm not. In western societies Mangas (and Comics and more or less all graphic novels) are frowned upon by educated society. If you can read, why bother with such rubbish.
Let me explain why ...

First of all. It's not rubbish! (Okay, not ALL of it is rubbish ...) Mangas originate in Japan. You read them from the right to the left. They are often series of many volumes. They may have sweet heroines with the typical big dovey manga child eyes. And they are not for children. At least many of them aren't. There are even some mangas that have a very adult theme, like the yaoi Mangas or hentai Mangas.

If you follow my blog, I'm sure to recommend some of my favourite manga series to you. But right now I want to say a general thing about Mangas. Mangas can be serious. Crazy. Sweet. Or Icky. I can love them for their style of drawing. For good characterisation. For a captivating plot. For yummiiieeeh heroes. They are in some ways not so different from books. That is ... if you read for escapism as I do. I have heard that in Japan you can even find cookbooks in manga style. Cute idea, but I think I'll stick to stories.

Photobucket

Western people however have prejudices against mangas and comics that I find really unjustified. Because - as you often find in the case of prejudices - they come from people who know next to nothing about it. In Japan you can find some typical business man reading mangas the size of a telephone directory on the way home from work in the train. Possibly sitting next to a housewife with a manga and a student with another manga. There are mangas for all age classes. And the wide variety of manga makes it really likely that there is also just the right manga waiting for you out there.

Keine Kommentare: